Skip Navigation

Friday, 19 July 2019

Bicentenary of the opening of the GPO

Bicentenary of the opening of the GPO

11/01/2018

On January 11, 2018 An Post issued a stamp to commemorate the Bicentenary of the opening of the GPO.

This year sees the bicentenary of the opening of probably the best-known building in Ireland: The General Post Office (GPO) in Dublin’s O’Connell Street. The GPO opened for business on January 6, 1818 when O’Connell Street was then called Sackville Street.

In 1911 a statue depicting the death of the ancient Irish hero Cú Chulainn was sculpted by Oliver Sheppard and was sited at the command post in the centre of the GPO main hall. Later it was moved to the front of the building, where it still stands. 

The building was designed by architect Francis Johnston and was the last of the great Georgian public buildings to be built in Dublin. Today the GPO is the headquarters of An Post, the Irish Post Office and is Dublin's principal Post Office.

The building itself is still a focal point in the city where people meet, rallies congregate, speeches are made and marches begin and end. It is also and hopefully will always be, a symbol of Irish independence and heroism recognised throughout the country.

The stamp was commissioned to commemorate the bicentenary of the opening of the GPO. It features an image of the GPO which was engraved by Robert Havell and Son and published in 1820 by G.H. Jones..



Back