Ireland gets moving with Post FX card in hand
Ireland is on the move after a long cold winter and heading for the airport. That’s the clear finding of a survey carried by An Post that sought holiday locations, top tips and insights into the minds of the impending holidaymakers.
No surprise then, that 38% of our friends and neighbours intend to travel to destinations within the USA, that more than 40% are travelling to destinations within Europe and the UK while 41% said they would take An Post’s Post FX card with them because ‘it’s safer than cash’.
The survey also showed that 53% of respondents start thinking about saving their spending money immediately after they book a holiday while 11% check that their passport is up to date. Home is where the heart will be for just 6% who will holiday in their back garden.
An Post carried out the web and social media survey as it extended the reach of its popular Post FX card. Post FX currencies include US, Australian and Canadian Dollars and British Pounds and are available at more than 640 Post Offices nationwide.
Some interesting fact from the surveys:
- USA (25%) and Australia (9%) are the top two ‘Dream’ destinations (Post FX available in both currencies) and the Maldives (7.5%) are third favourite with South America (5%) fourth choice.
- 38% of people are travelling this year to USA (Post FX available in US Dollars)
- 21% are travelling this year to Spain, France or somewhere else in Europe
- 19% are travelling to the UK (Post FX available in British Pounds)
- 64% will travel with family and 22% will travel with friends.
Top Holiday Tips:
- Plan your holiday well in advance and research the destination.
- Make sure you take out travel insurance.
- Carry a copy of all travel documents or email them to yourself.
- Use a Post FX card and do not carry large sums of cash.
- Make sure phone has reasonably priced roaming (for data and downloading).
- Check passport well in advance.
- If travelling in Europe bring an EU Health card.
And asked what they liked about An Post’s FX card
- 41% said because it is safer than cash.
- 18% agreed that it is cheaper to use than a credit or debit card.
- 13% like that the card is Commission-free.
- 9% like that you can only spend only what’s on the card.
- 7% like that it is not linked to your bank account or personal details.
- Other Post FX attributes mentioned included topping up online. @PostFX.ie, using Post FX as a back-up card in case of loss or theft, 24/7 customer service, 365 days a year, everywhere and its use of Chip & PIN technology.
Managing Director of An Post Retail Debbie Byrne said while the survey threw up a number of interesting facts about holidaymaker intentions and destinations the clear message for An Post was the continued popularity of the Post Fx card. ‘We are a leader in FX financial services and will continue extending the range and extent of our currency business. The card has quickly become as much a part of holiday planning and packing as sunscreen and passports. Clearly cash security and no commission are the two areas where the Post FX is a winner.’