- special reduced postage rates for items for use of the blind
Are you posting items to the blind? Are you posting items for the use of the blind? If so, we can offer you free postage for domestic and international mail.
How does it work?
When posting items to or for use of the blind, mark them clearly as such. Post the item, and we'll do the rest.
Step by step
An Post allows you to send items containing certain literature and articles adapted for the blind free of charge.
Where are you posting to?
Are there weight and size restrictions?
What can I send?
Packages containing certain literature and articles adapted for the blind including:
- Books and papers, including letters to or from blind persons impressed or otherwise prepared for use of the blind
- Paper posted to anyone for the purpose of being impressed or prepared for the blind
- Relief maps
- Machines, frames and attachments for making impressions for use of the blind
- Writing frames and attachments
- Braillette boards and pegs
- De Braille instruction devices
- You can make particular arrangements with An Post to send material specially designed or adapted for use of the blind including:
- Games, including card games
- Mathematical appliances and attachments
- Wrapper, labels and envelopes that are intended for use on packages for the blind
- Braille watches, clocks and timers
- Tools aids and precision instruments
- Rules and measures
- Sectional or collapsible walking sticks
- Voice records on discs, films, tape or wire, of books, newspapers, journals etc, and the apparatus to play these recordings.
- Metal plates impressed or sent for the purpose of being impressed for the use of the blind
- Harness for guide dogs.
What can I send?
- Literature impressed in Braille or other special type for use of the blind - plates, papers of any kind, periodicals, books
- Letters similarly impressed
- Sound records sent to or by blind persons
- Plates for embossing blind literature
- Voice records and special paper intended solely for the use of the blind. They must be sent by or addressed to an officially recognised institution for the blind.
Ensure national mail services packages are posted either without a cover or in a cover which can be easily removed for the purpose of examination.
Ensure the packets are marked as:
- "Articles for the Blind" - inland mail services
- "Cécogrammes" (BLIND LITERATURE) - international mail services
Terms and conditions
Inland Mail Services
Conditions of posting:
- A package shall contain only articles as described above, for use of the blind, except a label which may show the name and address of the person to whom the package is to be returned.
- A package shall not contain any communication or inscription either in writing or ordinary printing except the title, date of publication or manufacture, serial number, name and address of the printer, publisher or manufacturer, price and table of contents of the book or paper and the key to or instructions for the use of any special type of, or article enclosed in the package.
- A package shall bear on the outside the inscription "Articles for the Blind" and the written or printed name of the sender.
- A package shall be posted either without a cover or in a cover which can be easily removed for the purpose of examination.
- If the foregoing conditions are not fulfilled the package will be charged as an insufficiently paid item. In addition to deficient postage a handling charge will be applied.
International Mail Services
- The package should be clearly marked "Cécogrammes" (BLIND LITERATURE) in the upper right-hand corner of the address side.
Glossary of Terms