Insurance and compensation
Additional insurance for Registered Post items within the Republic of Ireland up to a maximum €2,000.
||Additional Fee |
Registered Post International
Insurance cover varies according to destination, UK, EU or Rest of World. Insurance cover for the declared value up to:
- €320 - UK
- €150 - Europe
- €100 for Parcels & €35 for all other items outside of Europe
Insurance cover is not available for certain items. The following articles will be accepted but are not insured:
- Cash and coins
- Bank drafts
- Vouchers with a monetary face value*
- Precious metals such as platinum, gold or silver, whether manufactured or not in the form of a finished article.
A full list of items which cannot be insured is available by contacting Customer Services on 01 705 7600.
* Postage stamps are excluded.
** Customer wishing to send jewellery to the UK are advised to avail of our PakSafe service.
- Registered Post National and International items will only be delivered when signed for. A copy of the signature can be obtained on request from the delivering Postal Operator; this may be requested through An Post Customer Services.
- You are insured for the declared value of the item at the time of posting up to a maximum of the cover available to the destination country.
In the event that your registered item is not received by the addressee, An Post will compensate you subject to An Post general conditions and the conditions contained within the (new window, pdf) Guide to An Post Services, a copy of which is available at every Post Office. An Post must be satisfied that the loss or damage occurred in the post, as compensation is not payable through a cause outside the control of An Post.
When registering an item ensure to declare its replacement value as compensation rates are related to the declared value and registration fee paid. Where no value is declared a maximum of €25.39 is payable.
- An Post reserves the right to return the contents of a registered item instead of paying compensation. Compensation paid will not exceed the replacement value of the article lost or of damages sustained.
- Compensation is not paid for any consequential loss damage or injury arising from the loss, delay, non-delivery or mis-delivery of Registered Post.
- Compensation cover varies by country of destination and can be checked before posting in the Guide to An Post Services available at your local Post Office counter.