The list of prohibited items applies all year round, including the Christmas period.
To send money abroad we recommend that you use Western Union, available at Post Offices nationwide.
Business Customers sending Jewellery to the UK should use An Post’s PakSafe service. Contact your account manager or An Post Customer Services at 1850 57 58 59 for further information.
Items restricted from the outbound International Mail services
For security and legal reasons, the following items are prohibited from International Mail services:
| Cash & Coin
| Jewellery or Precious Metals
| Bank Drafts/Sterling Drafts
|Vouchers with Monetary face value
F.A.C.T. of L.I.F.E.
F irearms & Replica Firearms (including toys)
A erosols (of any kind including saline solution, cosmetics)
C orrosive Substances (including acids and batteries)
T oner & Ink Cartridges (separately packed or in printers)
L iquids (of any kind including water, alcohol, gels, creams, aftershaves and perfumes)
I nfectious Substances (including medical samples, biological samples or serums)
F lammable Substances ( including matches, lighters)
E xplosive Substances (including fireworks, gas cylinders, ammunition or crackers)
- Aerosols (of any kind including saline solution, cosmetics)
- Aluminium Chloride
- Batteries including lithium-ion batteries (individually or as part of an electric device)
- Blasting Caps
- Calcium Carbide
- Carbon dioxide
- Caustic Soda
- Cleaning Fluids
- Corrosive Fluids
- Corrosive Paint Remover
- Corrosive substances (including acids and batteries)
- Debit/Credit Cards and Blank Cheques*
- Drugs and Pharmaceutical products
- Dry Ice (Solid Carbon Dioxide)
- Explosive substances (including fireworks, gas cylinders, ammunition or crackers)
- Fibreglass Compounds*
- Firearms & replica firearms (including toys)
- Fire Extinguishers
- Fissile Material (Uranium 235 etc.)
- Flammable substances ( including matches, lighters)
- Hazardous or combustible material (as defined in the regulations of the International Air Transport Association (IATA))
- Human remains including ashes
- Hydrochloric Acid
- Illegal narcotics
- Industrial Diamonds
- Infectious substances (including medical samples, biological samples or serums)
- Lighter Fuel
- Liquids (of any kind including water, alcohol, gels, creams, aftershaves and perfumes)
- Magnetised material
- Mercury Salts
- Metallic Magnesium
- Mustard Gas
- Negotiable instruments*
- Nitrocellulose Film
- Nitrogen Dioxide
- Nitric Acid
- Paint Remover
- Paint Thinner
- Pathogenic Material
- Perishable items
- Plants and plant products (seeds and tobacco)*
- Radioactive Waste Material (Uranium or Thorium Ores etc.)
- Rat Poison
- Sodium Hydride
- Sulphuric Acid
- Toner & Ink cartridges (separately packed or in printers)
- Works of art
- Zinc Powder
or any item(s) the carriage of which is prohibited by law, regulation or statute of any federal, state or local government of any country to or through which the shipment may be carried.
For further advice about individual countries please ask counter staff at your local Post Office or phone Customer Services on CallSave 1850 57 58 59
An Post will not accept liability for any losses incurred or as a result of the seizure of items by customs authorities abroad should any of the above prohibited items be (inadvertently or otherwise) posted through this service. Customers should refer to Article 9(d) of the Parcel Terms and Conditions for a full list of the content categories for which insurance is not available.
* The following items are restricted only on the International Courier Service.
- Debit / Credit Cards and Blank Cheques
- Fibreglass Compounds
- Negotiable Instruments
- Plant and plant products (seeds and tobacco)
Rules for Completion of Aviation Security and Customs Declaration Forms
- CP72 for use on all Parcels being posted to Non -EU destinations.
- CP72 for use on all Letter Packet being posted to Non -EU destinations where the value of the contents exceed €300.
- CN22 for use on all Letter Packet being posted to Non-EU destinations where the value is less than €300.
- Aviation Security Declaration (ASD) for use on Letter Packets and Parcels being posted to EU destinations regardless of value.
- The contents of the item must be described fully and accurately i.e. Gift or Sample is NOT sufficient.
- The customer must also complete fully their name address and signature.
- Please advise the customer that Non-compliance with these conditions may lead to delay, inconvenience or even seizure of the item by Customs at the destination.